Work Permit/ Work VISA

In regard to hire any foreign worker by Canadian employer required a government approval known as Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), formerly called a Labour Market Opinion (LMO).
Before getting approval on LMIA, the Canadian government reviewing an application must determine that the hiring of a foreign worker will have a positive or neutral effect on the Canadian labour market. Among other factors, it must be clear that no qualified Canadians were passed up in favour of the foreign worker, and that the foreign worker will be given a salary and benefits that meet federal and provincial standards.


We will direct the foreign worker step by step on how to go about presenting his/her application for a work permit. Our Immigration Consultants will assist the employer in getting the LMIA / LMO and the worker in obtaining the visa and work permit. A professionally prepared application makes a very big difference when applying to embassies overseas. An LMIA / LMO is no guarantee that the worker will get a visa to enter Canada. We carefully review the requirements of the Canadian embassy that handles applications from the worker's country of origin, and we make sure everything is presented according to those guidelines.


There are different types of foreign nationals that can request a work permit or a change in their current work permit.

Work Permit Holders

We can help people who have a work permit for one job and want to apply for a work permit for a different position that has been offered to them. Also we can help to extend your work permit with the same employer (work permit extension or work permit renewal). A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) formerly known as Labour Market Opinion (LMO) is required before applying for a work permit renewal with the same employer or with a new employer.

Students, visitors and in-Canada permanent resident applicants

People can apply from within Canada if they have a valid study permit, or if their spouse/parents have a study or work permit and if they have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more, or if they applied for permanent residence from inside Canada and have to pass certain stages in the main application process before being eligible for work (e.g. In-canada spouses, live-in caregivers).


North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)

Citizens of the United States and Mexico need a job offer without the approval of Service Canada in the following cases:

  • Business visitors
  • Professionals
  • Intra-company transferees
  • Traders and investors

Canada–Chile Free Trade Agreement (CCFTA)

The Canada–Chile Free Trade Agreement makes it easier for Chilean citizens to temporarily enter Canada. The categories, rules and requirements are similar to those under NAFTA.

General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS)

Persons who work for foreign companies from World Trade Organization member countries, that provide services in Canada can get a work permit without an approved job offer in the following cases:

  • Business visitors
  • Professionals
  • Intra-company transferees

Persons exempt for work permits

Persons that have a job offer approved by Human Resources Canada can apply for a work permit in Canada. Only the following workers in specific circumstances are exempt from needing a work permit whilst working in Canada:

  • Business Visitors
  • Foreign Representatives
  • Family Members of Foreign Representatives
  • Military Personnel
  • Foreign Government Officers
  • On-Campus Employment
  • Performing Artists
  • Athletes and Coaches
  • News Reporters
  • Public Speakers
  • Convention Organizers
  • Clergy
  • Judges and Referees
  • Examiners and Evaluators
  • Expert Witnesses or Investigators
  • Health-Care Students
  • Civil Aviation Inspectors
  • Accident or Incident Inspectors
  • Crew Members
  • Emergency Service Providers

These persons still need to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (if applicable) to enter Canada as visitors.