Study in UK

The U.K. has always been a ‘holy grail’ for zealous students who want to achieve heights through their academic knowledge. From the sublime and ultimate campuses of Oxford and Cambridge to tech-savvy and state-of-art of campuses of UCL and Imperial College, the U.K. offers world- renowned and time-honored education system. Studying in the U.K. not only provides the students with most contemporary academic qualifications, but also gives them an edge over their competitors. This is the reason, that every year thousands of international students come to the U.K. to be a part of this vibrant, top-notch and leading-edge education system.

The U.K. student visa is a point-based visa system. To be eligible to apply for a student visa, you are required to gain minimum of 40 points, 30 points out of which are for the ‘confirmation of acceptance of studies’ from the university, college or school, where you are intended to study. Moreover, the university, college or school chosen by you must be on the ‘register of sponsors’ kept by the UKBA.

The individuals who are willing to apply for the Student Visa for the U.K. can apply under following categories:

Tier 4 (General) Student Visa: You can apply for this visa category, if you are 16 years old or over and you:

  • Have been offered a place on a course with a qualified education provider
  • Are able to speak, read, write and understand English
  • Are from the country that is not in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
  • Have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course 
  • Have CAS number (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) sent to you by the education provider after offering you a place on the course

Documents Required:

  • Proof of CAS number (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) by the education provider
  • Proof that you have enough funds to support yourself and to pay for your course
  • Proof of parents or other legal guardian consent, if you are under 18
  • A current passport or other valid travel documentations
  • 2 Passport–sized colored photographs
  • Additional documents depending on your circumstances

Tier 4 (General) Student Visa permits the individuals to work between 10 to 20 hours per week during term periods and they may undertake full-time job during vacation periods.

Tier 4 Student (Child) Visa:

The applicants, who are between the age group of 4 and 17 and want to study in the U.K., can apply for the Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa. The applicants need to have a licensed education provider, who acts as a sponsor and confirms the enrolment offer.

The applicants applying for this visa are required to provide following documentations:

  • Proof that you have sufficient funds to maintain and accommodate yourself or to be maintained or accommodated by host

  • Proof that you have enough money to pay your course-fee

  • Proof that you have been accepted into a recognized course of study at an approved U.K. institution

  • Proof of your CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) by the education provider
  • Proof of your parents’ or guardians’ approval for your travel, reception, and care arrangements

  • Additional documents depending on your circumstances

  • A current passport or other valid travel documentation

The applicants who become successful to obtain Tier 4 (Child) student visa are granted visa for a period in accordance with the duration of the intended course. This visa category helps the applicants to develop an educational base in the U.K.

Student Visitor Visa:

An applicant who intends to do a short course of study in the U.K. can apply for a student visitor visa. When you apply for Student Visitor Visa, you can:

  • Go for a short course of study in the U.K., like: an English language course or a training course.

But you cannot:

  • Study at a state school
  • Work or carry out any business
  • Marry or register a civil partnership
  • Extend this visa beyond 11 months
  • Bring family members with you
  • Get public funds

You can apply for Student Visitor Visa, if:

  • You are accepted on a course to learn English
  • You are studying at an overseas higher education institution and part of your course is to be carried out in the U.K.

  • You are already enrolled in an overseas course and want to go to the U.K. for a short period of research

While applying for this visa, along with all other documents, you need to show the proof that you have enough money to pay for your return or onward journey.

Study as a Child Visitor:

If you of are under 18 years of age and want to go to the U.K. for a short study course, you can apply for (Child Visitor) Study Visa. The place of study where you are accepted on a course must be:

  • Accredited by Accreditation U.K., Accreditation Body for Language Services, British Accreditation Council, Accreditation Service for International College or
  • An organisation that is licensed to sponsor Tier 4 migrants

Under this visa category, you are not able to study at government funded school, unless you come to the U.K as a part of an exchange programme or educational visit.

Documents Required:

  • Current passport or other valid travel documents
  • 1 Passport-sized colored photograph
  • Proof that you can support yourself during your trip or proof that you will be financially supported by your parents or carers
  • Contact details of at least one parent or guardian in your home country
  • Details of the place, you are intended to stay and your travel plans
  • Details of the course and of the institution where you will be studying
  • Your parents need to provide additional documents like: written consent, full contact details, proof; you are living somewhere suitable etc., if you are travelling alone
  • Specific information about the person, if someone is accompanying you to the U.K.

Child Visitor Visa enables you to stay in the U.K. for six months or 12 months, if an academic visitor e.g. a researcher or teacher is accompanying you. You can also apply for long-term visa visit, if you have sufficient proofs to show that you are required to make continuous visits over a longer period of time. You can stay for 6 months of period during your each visit and your visa can last for 1, 2, 5 or 10 years, depending upon your requirements and valid proofs verifying the same.